A Little About Us and What we do.
LANDED is a young persons charity that provides and promotes peer education services for young people and service providers in Lanarkshire. We offer volunteering opportunities for young people and support them to become positive active citizens whilst promoting healthy lifestyles. Below you can find out a bit more about us and the work that we do.
Young people play a major role in the organisation through involvement in our regular consultation processes, and by being active Management Board members. We focus on recruiting young people from a variety of different social backgrounds including young people exposed to substance misuse issues, young people in the care system, and young people who are carers.
Our training programme supports young people to develop their personal and social skills whilst gaining confidence and raising self-esteem. We provide opportunities to get involved in a variety of activities including delivering workshops, developing awareness raising resources and hosting stalls at community events. By involving our young people in all aspects of our service, we can ensure we provide relevant and factual information to young people in a format that they can easily understand.
In addition to training and support for young people, we also offer capacity building opportunities through our staff training programmes about promoting the benefits of a peer education approach and improve adult understanding of issues concerning young people.
Our work with young people includes:
- Recruiting, training and supporting young people aged 16-22 to become volunteer peer educators
- Delivering Drugs, alcohol, sexual health and tobacco awareness raising workshops to young people in the community who are attending training organisations or are part of established groups
- The development of a range of youth friendly resources to raise awareness about topical health issues
- Host stalls and awareness raising sessions at community events
- Provide awareness raising sessions to parent and carer groups within Lanarkshire
- Provide training and awareness raising sessions to professional staff members who work with young people in relation to drug, alcohol, sexual health and tobacco issues.
- Represent young people and the voluntary sector at a strategic level within Lanarkshire
Outwith Lanarkshire we:
- Provide training and support opportunities to organisations who are interested in establishing peer education as part of their own service. We can also provide topic based inputs to young people and staff members
LANDED Mission Statement
To raise awareness and increase knowledge of drug, alcohol, sexual health and tobacco issues and associated harm amongst young people living in Lanarkshire to enable them to make positive choices in relation to their own health and wellbeing
Landed Peer Education Service was established in April 2002 through a partnership between the Lanarkshire Alcohol & Drug Partnership (LADP), NHS Lanarkshire Health Promotion Department, North and South Lanarkshire Education and Social Work Services. We became a registered charity in 2005 and a Company Limited by Guarantee in 2008.
LANDED’s original aim was to use peer education as a method of engaging with young people in relation to issues about substance misuse and associated harm. The project was so successful that a sexual health strand was added to the existing service as there was a clear link between substance misuse issues and poor sexual health. A further strand was added in 2011 to address issues of smoking and tobacco amongst young people.
Originally based in Blantyre, the pan Lanarkshire project moved to Motherwell in 2007. Moving again to bigger premises in 2012 as a way of accommodating the growth of the service. Over the years hundreds of young people have trained as LANDED peer educators, and thousands of young people have participated in awareness raising sessions and directly benefited from the service.
Hire the LANDED meeting room
Need an affordable meeting space?
For £10 an hour you can book our spacious meeting room located on the LANDED premises. Booking couldn’t be easier, contact us below or call 01698 269872
- Seating for 10 people max
- 52 inch widescreen display
- (Audio/visual input ports)
- Whiteboard, Flipcharts & pens
- Tea & Coffee making facilities
Download Annual Reports
[wpdm_file id=1][wpdm_file id=2]